August 23, 2023

April - Momcation to Waco, TX

April was one of our slower months for the year. It was a welcomed break. We enjoyed some down time as a family and I even took a few days off for a much needed Momcation to Waco, TX. I knew that as soon as May hit we would be full swing with school getting out, family visiting, and our little man's 8th Birthday! We had several fun things for the kids planned for May so taking a break in April was a must.

                                                


Some shenanigans on our way to school. These three are too much fun!


I had decided to head to Waco, TX for my Momcation this Spring. I am so happy that I did. It was my first time going somewhere by plane for my weekend getaway. I usually pick places close to home so I can enjoy a quiet drive to myself. Plus, there is always loads to explore from right where we are. However, I have had Waco on my list for a few years now. I knew Pres wouldn't mind missing this trip so I went ahead and booked it. I really wanted to go and check out all things Magnolia. I enjoyed watching Chip and Joanna Gaines on TV and wanted to see what they have done with this town.
To start of my Momcation I did as I always try to do and attended the temple before heading to the airport. The temple was perfect. It was the exact way I had hoped to begin this adventure.


Watching the sunset on my flight. 

I arrived into Dallas at 9pm and got into my rental which turned out to be a Tesla. Apparently there was an accident with my former choice of car so they upgraded me. I was so nervous to take this new car for a spin. I had never ridden in one let alone drove one. It was definitely a learning curve but I seemed to get it down after a few minutes of practicing in the airport parking lot :) I headed down to Waco and checked into my room for the weekend. I stayed in a hotel right next to a HEB (which I have missed so much) and restaurants all around. 

                                


After a really good night of sleep I headed to the hotel gym. I was thrilled to get a good workout in before heading to Magnolia Table for breakfast. I was planning to eat all of the things :) By the time I worked out and showered I could have ordered lunch, haha, but I wanted to try the breakfast. I ended up going for an eggs benedict and it was a real disappointment in my opinion. I could barely eat it. I ended up picking off the parts I could eat and then left. Not a great start to my Magnolia weekend, haha. I had heard from several people that they LOVED eating there and the food was amazing. Most people I talked to ate lunch there though, not breakfast. It was a bad enough experience that I ended up choosing different places to eat and never went back. The service was not great that morning either. I am chalking it up to just an "off day". Everyone else I know that has gone loved it. I guess I just pulled the short straw, I'm not sure.


This was right outside of the restaurant.

Today was my Magnolia day! I decided to make Thursday the day I went to all of the shops and saw the Silos. I figured there wouldn't be as much of a rush. I was right :) There were very few people out and about. It was perfect. 


The chapel on the grounds is so pretty.



The inside was so simple yet super elegant. It took me back in time when I would visit old churches from the 1800's on childhood vacations or from watching old movies. It was gorgeous. I sat in here for some time. It was very peaceful and welcoming.


One nice thing about venturing out on my own is that I can take my time in each place. The stores are much smaller than I had anticipated. That didn't set me back from taking my time to look around in each one. This store was a favorite. It's called Ferny's and it's filled with all different kinds of plants with the most fun names. I wish I could have taken several plants home with me but they wouldn't have travelled well. 


So creative and fun.


I loved the way everything was decorated and put together. I tread each of the names for the plants and couldn't help but chuckle at some of them. My favorite was a succulent called Barry and another called Francis.


After I checked out all of the stores I headed to the much anticipated bakery. I couldn't wait to sample some of these cupcakes and cookies. They were absolutely delicious!!


This is the main store that you can find all kinds of kitchen goodies like dishes, cups, etc. as well as candles, vases, fake flowers, and apparel. 


I took a quick break to bust out a cupcake and give it a shot. I chose lavender lemon. It was amazing! It was so humid that day, so sitting in the shade while devouring a tasty treat was perfect!


Loved this!


Walking back to my car I took a pic from the wiffle ball stadium. The Magnolia silos did not fully disappoint. The only thing I was surprised by was size of shops (super small) and the pricing. It was more expensive than I figured it would be. It didn't stop me from purchasing a few things (mostly sale items;). I thought they would have reasonable pricing because it is such an attraction, but it seemed pretty high to me. Maybe that's why they keep the pricing as high as they do though. People come :)

After the Silos I headed to the cutest bookstore! It is right in downtown and called the Fabled Bookshop & Cafe. It was absolutely darling. Probably the highlight of my trip! I loved everything about this place. I even met a new friend named Ashley. She is a student at Baylor University. We ended up talking for over an hour about all things Christ. She just happened to ask my advice about something she was pursuing if I was willing to listen. I listened and gave her my honest feedback. She ended up going to Egypt on a mission with her church to build homes and do service for the people there. It was such a fun and unexpected experience to have. We have since kept in touch. After she had to leave I shopped for some new books to read on my vacation away. As I shopped a HUGE thunderstorm rolled in. I haven't seen rain like that in a long time. One of the ladies standing by me said that she received a text from her sister that the tornado sirens went off by where she lived. What?! I did not fly all the way to Waco to get sucked up by a storm, haha. The thunder and lightening were insane. It was so intense. Once the rain let up a little I took off for the car to get back to my hotel. 


I was SOAKED head to toe by the time I got to the car.


Since the storm was still making it's way through Waco I stopped at Rudy's for dinner. I sat by the window with my incredible spread of BBQ and watched the storm roll over. 


The Silo cookie was to die for! I had that for my dessert back at the hotel. Then, I threw on my pj's and tucked myself into bed with a book! Topping the night off with snacks and a Jane Austen movie.


One last work out before heading home! I loved having my workout time in the morning. I always had the gym to myself and I took my time. It was so nice.


A Tesla people! I still can't believe I did that. 


I took a drive on my last full day around Waco. I decided to head out into the farmlands because, well, I miss them. I miss the trees and green grass of the Midwest. I soaked up all the scenery as I drove around. I just happened to come upon the Magnolia Table building which is part of the Magnolia Network. This is where they film all of the recipes for the show. It is such a beautiful building. I stopped and snooped around a little bit. It was gorgeous!


Once I was back into Waco I drove by the castle that the Gaines duo renovated. It was beautiful. They did such a great job with this castle. They are no longer letting people come and see the inside but it's a beauty and so large in person. 

     

The following morning on my way out of town I stopped by this sweeet mural to take a quick pic.


 I also stopped by Baylor University and walked the grounds. My new friend Ashley told me that I needed to go and see the law building and walk the bridge. 



A view from the bridge.


This is the Law building. Such a stunning building.

After I finished my personal tour of Baylor I headed back to Dallas for my flight. It was a great flight. Everything went so smoothly on the trip. I couldn't have asked for a better time. However, I always love coming home to all of my people. Even if it was the perfect little getaway.


Missed this little one sleeping the only way Quinn knows how ;) lots of animals and spread out.

I am so grateful for our April. We had a lot of family time and I had the opportunity to get a way for a few days. I love taking these mini vacations all by myself. They are so fun. I enjoy doing what I want to do when I want to do it. I find it freeing. It's a time for me to remember that I am not only a Mom, a wife, a sister, daughter, or friend. I am Lesley, and I have my very own things that I enjoy. This is no one elses journey but my own. I am just blessed to have incredible people around me to help me grow and support my exploring. It's also a time to evaluate where I'm at and where I'd like to be. A time to make goals, reflect, and give gratitude for all that I have. A time to think about all that I want to accomplish still. These Momcations are one of many things I look forward to every year. Planning them is always a treat. I'm grateful for a spouse that is extremely supportive and goes all in as "stay at home dad" for those few days. We make a good team ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment